On this subject, there is no longer a debate: “People with diabetes, especially uncontrolled diabetes, have more gum disease than those without diabetes,” according to the American Dental Association. “Now, scientists are finding that gum disease may raise blood sugar levels in people with and without diabetes. … the good news is that in people with type 2 diabetes, treatment of severe disease (for instance, deep cleaning) can lead to a drop in blood sugar levels.” For residents of Spring, TX, SpringLove Dentistry can help you maintain a healthy mouth and alert you to the dental signs of diabetes and periodontal disease.
Diabetes and periodontal disease – a dangerous partnership
Research suggests an interactive relationship between periodontal disease and diabetes. An article published in the January 2012 issue of Diabetologia reported findings by a group of medical experts in periodontology and diabetes: “Epidemiological data confirm that diabetes is a major risk factor for periodontitis; susceptibility to periodontitis is increased by approximately threefold in people with diabetes. There is a clear relationship between degree of hyperglycaemia and severity of periodontitis.”
- Serious gum disease has been found to negatively affect blood glucose control, which can contribute to the advancement of diabetes.
- If your blood glucose levels are poorly controlled, you are more likely to develop periodontal disease and lose more teeth than non-diabetics.
- People with diabetes are found to be more susceptible to bacterial infections and have a reduced ability to fight the bacteria, which increases the risk of bacteria infecting the gums, leading to periodontal disease.
- You must control your blood glucose level.
- Brush your teeth twice a day and floss daily.
- Get regular check-ups at SpringLove Dentistry so we can watch for early signs of gum disease and stop its growth.
Visit your Spring, TX dentist today
Make an appointment with SpringLove Dentistry today so you can enjoy a healthy life and happy smiles.
To everyone in Spring, TX from the SpringLove Dentistry doctors and staff, we wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy new year!