SpringLove Dentistry's Blog
Everyone in Spring, TX agrees on one thing about Easter: We love baskets full of sugary treats like chocolate bunnies, marshmallow Peeps and jelly beans. And another April treat is all the fresh fruits in season – a natural sugar bonanza. But we’ve always heard that sugar is bad for teeth. So do we have to skip Easter candy and fresh fruits just to protect our teeth? Is there a strategy, or some secret weapon, to reduce the harmful effects of sugar on teeth? Absolutely! The SpringLove Dentistry team in Spring, TX has some tips and tricks.
Bacteria Eat Sugar and Make Acid
Sugar alone won’t harm teeth. The tooth-damaging culprits are acids. When we eat or drink sugary and starchy things (that turn into sugar), we supply sugar to the already-present mouth bacteria that make acid. We can get acids from citrus fruits and drinks, too. These acids start dissolving the tooth enamel, usually within the first 20 minutes after eating.
Fortunately, our saliva comes to wash away the acids and – amazingly – to actually rebuild the tooth enamel using minerals in the saliva itself. So there is an ongoing battle between the bad acids and the hero saliva. But if the attacking acids from sugary foods come often, the saliva cannot keep up. When the bacteria and acids win, cavities start to form and gum disease can begin. If you skip your regular checkups and professional teeth cleanings, your dental future may lead to cavities and gum disease, requiring fillings, root canals, extractions, and crowns. At SpringLove Dentistry, we can help adults and children with all of these, but preventing dental problems is the best way to go!
Your Spring, TX Dentists Suggest You Can Empower the Hero Saliva
You can enjoy Easter treats, starchy foods and fresh fruits, and reduce their harmful effects on our teeth, if you follow this easy plan suggested by our Spring, TX dentists to give your saliva a fighting chance against the bacteria and acids:
- Limit the amount of sugary and acidy foods and drinks each day.
- Thoroughly floss once and brush at least twice each day.
- Eat fiber-rich fruits and vegetables regularly, and include cheese, yogurt and dairy products, too.
Here is a secret fact: Research shows the acids weaken your enamel in the first few minutes after they form in your mouth, so it is best to immediately rinse your mouth and then wait an hour before brushing.
And here are three secret weapons against the acids:
- Rinse your mouth with a mixture of baking soda and water (without actually brushing) after mid-day sweets and citrus.
- Eat cheese, which slows the acid, helps generate more saliva, and provides enamel-building minerals like calcium and phosphate.
- Chew sugarless gum, which can help sweep food particles from the mouth and stimulate more saliva flow.
Enjoy April treats in Spring, TX, including fruits and sweets, knowing that taking a few precautions can help your teeth and gums overcome those challenges!
Are you unhappy with your smile because of yellowed or stained teeth? Have you tried numerous teeth whitening treatments in the dentist office and at home, but they just don’t give you the results you want, or results that last? We’re excited to offer you the solution everyone’s talking about: KoR Teeth Whitening in Spring, TX!
The limitations of most teeth whitening treatments
The effectiveness of over-the-counter and professional whitening treatments depends on a number of factors:
- Most stains are organic, caused by certain foods, beverages and tobacco that discolor the outer tooth.
- Over-the-counter whitening treatments contain much lower amounts of bleaching agents than in-office systems, so they may lighten the stains but can’t totally remove them.
- Most professional teeth whitening products contain a much more powerful bleaching agent than anything you can buy at the store and will remove most organic stains, but the results are not long-term.
- Fluoride (fluorosis) and tetracycline stains develop during childhood in permanent teeth before they erupt. These inorganic stains actually bind to molecules and become part of the enamel, dentin and bones, making the teeth resistant to both over-the-counter and professional whitening methods.
The benefits of KoR teeth whitening
KoR whitening agents restore the ability of the teeth to absorb oxygen, allowing the whitening gel to penetrate deep into the teeth to dissolve stain molecules – both organic and inorganic. The KoR system provides:
- Specially designed, tight fitting whitening trays that keep saliva out: saliva weakens the bleaching formula, an issue with other whitening trays
- Superior whitening without heat or laser light
- Little to no teeth sensitivity during or after treatment, a problem with many other teeth whitening treatments
- Significant whitening never before possible for teeth discolored by fluoride and tetracycline
- A long-lasting solution to keeping teeth white
KoR Teeth Whitening, the new standard for whiter, brighter smiles
If you’re looking for a cosmetic dentist with the latest technology in teeth whitening in Spring, TX, contact us at SpringLove Dentistry. Discover a level of teeth whiteness not possible before — and enjoy life more with your engaging, youthful, bright smile!